Grammy-Nominated Composer, Pianist, Arranger, Producer
John Beasley is available to conduct master classes or workshops with solo or small ensemble playing.
- Modern Jazz Harmony
- Solo or Small Ensemble Playing
- Functioning in the Rhythm Section
- Writing for Television, Commercials, and Film
- Electronic Studio Technology
- Record Producer
- Vocal Producer
- Contemporary Singing
- Musical Director
- Preparation for Auditions and Performing
- Bollywood Music and raga jazz
As a clinician, Beasley can share his experiences and discuss:
- Imparting lessons he has learned from being a solo artist and musical director, and playing in the rhythm section backing up many of the world’s greatest artists, including:
- Freddie Hubbard – The role of the rhythm section; playing in the “pocket”; comping; the necessity of maintaining the high energy levels demanded by Hubbard
- Chaka Khan – Playing in an R&B rhythm section – simple and funky
- Steely Dan – The role of a musical director; learning interesting and unusual song forms; rehearsal techniques; and voicings
- Miles Davis – Phrasing, form, and contemporary jazz harmony
- Carly Simon, Dianne Reeves, Queen Latifah, Kenny Rankin – Accompanying a vocalist
- Thomas Newman (Spectre, Skyfall, Finding Nemo, Shawshank Redemption, Wall-E) – Film scoring techniques; incorporating samples and loops with orchestra.
- Developing a unique sound – method and tools.
- Composing and editing original material.
- Playing in different styles, be it jazz, rock and roll, jazz, or R&B.
- Production techniques using PRO TOOLS, synthesizer orchestration, sequencing, vocal comping, drum programming.
- Writing for TV commercials, overdubs and tracking for records, film scores, emphasizing practical workable methods.
Beasley covers all of these topics under four general themes: Feel, Sound, Form, and Phrase.
Beasley has led music/jazz/piano clinics and workshops worldwide over the past 30 years across the U.S., Europe, Asia, and Latin America, including GRAMMY and ASCAP camps, The Performing Arts Center of Los Angeles, New York University, Rutgers, Taiwan Jazz Camp, Tonica International Jazz Festival Guadalajara, Rotterdam and Maastricht Conservatory Schools (Holland), Politrius Music School in Guatemala, LaSalle College of the Arts in Singapore, and the Toyota Youth Concerts with the LA Philharmonic.
To book John Beasley, contact lorna[at]johnbeasleymusic.com